Thursday, June 25, 2009

Response to Maissa's Week #6

Nik B. said...

I do think there is a good deal of cultural ignorance involved, but perhaps it may just seem like men ask in such a manner because they are men. The women may not come off like the men do because it may seem more comfortable coming from someone of the same gender. I also think the men who do ask may come off as more ignorant because of what is engendered into their upbringing as viewing women as objects rather than people of different cultures/ways and with the subsequent sensitivity to those different cultures/ways. I know two wrongs don't make a right and I am being judgmental in my own wrong way by stating, but I can bet most of the men who do ask are not so much curious as they are either ignorant or asking out of criticism of something different. Personally, I would not be so bold to ask. Even if I did not know, I would still feel it an insult to ask publicly like that or make a comparison to something else like a nun's habit. I think it is rude, if I am interpreting the situations correctly.
June 25, 2009 2:19 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment